The SNS e allows each user with an SNS account to remotely connect securely to many restricted access resources. As an example:
- students, researchers, teachers capable of connecting to the VPN can access the research workstations using the remote desktop or terminal;
- if connected to the VPN, all SNS users can access their "Aristotele" file server folders or consult the reserved databases and subscription magazines by browsing the biblio.sns.it website directly from home.
The VPN also ensures that the internet connection through which data is sent and received is secure and encrypted. While using the VPN, all data traffic will pass through the SNS network and therefore refer to the SNS's policies for the correct use of the network.
How to activate the VPN on your computer
The connection to the VPN of the Scuola Normale takes place through the installation and configuration of an application called Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect VPN client. Therefore, you must first download (download GlobalProtect Agent) and install the GlobalProtect Agent software according to the operating system of your device.
Here are the instructions for installing and configuring the GlobalProtect Agent:
For Linux systems the installation of the VPN occurs as described on this page: Install the VPN for Linux.
How can I check if I am connected to the VPN
On Mac systems, an icon appears in the top bar after installing the GlobalProtect agent. If there is a small red X in the icon then the VPN is not connected, otherwise it is connected. In Windows systems the same icon appears instead in the taskbar, but the operation is the same: if there is a small red X then the VPN is not connected, otherwise it is connected.
Differences from the old VPN
With the new VPN the way of remote access to the internal resources of the School changes. In particular, users no longer access a page containing the list of reserved resources but, for example, to consult the subscription magazines offered by the library, simply open a browser and enter the web address biblio.sns.it on the bar addresses. So, more generally, each internal web resource is reached simply by typing its URL.
What to do if you have problems installing the GlobalProtect agent
If there are problems during the installation of the GlobalProtect agent, first check that you have the administrator rights of the computer: otherwise, contact the helpdesk service to request the installation. If, once you have verified that you have the correct rights, the problem persists, open a ticket from the helpdesk.sns.it website.
What to do if the VPN is not working
- Whenever you want to access, the VPN must be connected to work, so make sure you have connected.
- If you are browsing within a corporate network, contact the network administrator asking if there are limitations in the use of external VPNs.
- If, after performing the above checks, the problem persists, open a ticket from the helpdesk.sns.it website.
- On Windows systems: if the "Resend credential" error occurs when trying to connect to the VPN via the Global Protest panel, it is recommended to uninstall the application and reinstall it with administrator rights. The error is caused by a failure in creating the "PanGPS" service.
- With macOS Mojave: if the field to enter your credentials does not appear, go to the system settings under Security and Privacy, then click on the button that allows you to add Palo Alto - Global Protect to the allowed applications.